6 Signs That Its Time to Replace Your Roof
As your home’s first line of defense against harsh temperatures, rain, and snow, it is one of the most important external assets to maintain. Although it is imperative to keep up with scheduled maintenance and take care of repairs quickly, there will come a time when you need to face the facts. Your roof needs to be replaced.
Out With the Old
With affordable options like TPO roofing, replacing your home’s roof doesn’t have to be so scary. Leaving a faulty roof can cause significantly more damage over time, so pay attention to these 6 signs that tell you its time to replace your roof:
- Damaged Shingles: This should be one of the more externally obvious signs that it is time to replace your roof. Damaged shingles can indicate shoddy work from the original installation, or more likely, aging materials and damage from prolonged exposure to the elements. Your roof is designed to take a beating from mother nature, but everything has an expiration date.
- Water Damage: Even with all your shingles intact, the most important place to check for evidence that it is time to replace your roof is your attic. Take a long look at the ceiling and materials surrounding the walls and vents that go outside. If you notice any swelling in the wood, damage to the walls, mold, or any evidence that water is making its way in, it is time to make the call to replace your roof.
- Sagging Roof: Externally, if you are viewing your roof and notice that there is an area where it slopes down or sags, even a little bit, that is a sign that the integrity of your roof is failing. It can indicate trapped moisture and wood rot that is beginning to be a safety hazard for all those living in your home.
- Algae Growth: Although algae growth is not cause for immediate concern, removing it and taking a closer look at the area beneath where it is growing is necessary. Algae or moss may indicate that moisture is trapped. If you notice that the materials are damaged due to trapped moisture, it is time to do some serious repairs and even replace the entire roof.
- Increased Energy Usage: Your roof is designed to keep out the elements. If your attic is hotter than outside temperatures and your energy bills are increasing due to extensive HVAC usage, your roof may not be doing its job. Replacing it with energy-efficient and reflective roofing, like TPO, can reduce your energy bills significantly.
- Missing Gutters or Flashing: If your gutters are missing or beginning to fall off, you may want to observe the fixtures where they were originally installed. Missing material may indicate that there is structural damage due to moisture or other factors and is a sign that you may need to be replaced.
Noticing one, or all of these signs may tell you that it is time to replace your roof.
Schedule an Inspection
Chances are, if you are noticing these signs yourself, it is time to replace your roof. Schedule a visit for a roof inspection so that you know for sure. Putting off this important home repair can cause significantly more damage, leading to more safety concerns and more repair costs.
With roofing replacement being more affordable and your insurance possibly being able to cover it, there is no reason for you to delay. Protect yourself and your home by calling today.