6 Ways to Tell if You Need to Replace Your Siding
Your home’s siding takes a beating every day of the year. The wind, rain, snow, and harsh temperatures play a heavy role in its deterioration, and even though it’s something you don’t want to think about, it eventually needs to be replaced.
The question is, how do you know it’s time to replace your siding?
Signs Your Siding Needs to Be Replaced:
The good news is your siding will start to tell you when it needs to be replaced. A few key signs and tells begin to pop up that let you know that it is time to replace it. Here are 6 ways to tell if you need to replace your siding:
- Rotting: If moisture gets locked in-between the panels and inside the wood, it will start to rot. This rot can travel to different places and begin to reduce the integrity of the materials used to build your home. If you see rot anywhere, please immediately consider what needs to be done to protect your home.
- Weather Damage: Weather damage can do a number of different things to your siding. From the chipping of the paint to the bowing of the materials, your siding can display a number of symptoms related to weather damage. Take the time to inspect your siding every season to see if this year’s weather incidents compromised your siding to the point of repair or replacement.
- Discoloration: Discoloration is one of the more obvious tells when considering whether or not it is time to replace your siding. Well, most of the time. As your siding is something that you see every day, you may not notice that it is not the same color that it used to be. That being said, if you take a closer look at the materials and are able to notice distinct color differences, your siding is showing signs of age and may need to be replaced.
- Frequent Maintenance: Depending on their severity, the other signs are not necessarily symptoms of needing to replace your siding. You may notice though, that discoloration or weather damage is resulting in constant maintenance that is beginning to become unaffordable. If you find yourself constantly painting or replacing segments of your siding, it is time to replace the entire thing.
- Energy Costs: Siding that is no longer doing its job is now allowing the outside temperatures to impact your inside climate. If your summer and winter energy bills are higher than you are used to, you may want to consider that your siding is the culprit.
- Gaps: As your siding takes a beating, it will start to change shape. The wood will bow and create gaps that lead to possible damage on the inside of the structure. Seek professional assistance to avoid needing to repair other, more intense, and costly parts of your home.
Although these signs don’t necessarily point toward an immediate need for replacement, with them combined or if it’s severe enough, you may want to seek a professional’s opinion.
Consider the Alternative:
Although your siding may be able to last a few more seasons, consider seeking a home inspection, just in case. It may be expensive to replace your siding today, but if you delay it for too long, it can allow further damage to happen to other parts of your home.
Seek out a professional opinion today to see if your home’s siding needs repair or replacement. Your home will thank you.